Peripartum Cardiomyopathy: Brenda Torigiani’s Story

January 14th, 2011

First time mama Brenda Torigiani experienced profound shortness of breath, heart palpitations and edema in the latter weeks of her pregnancy. What was initially attributed to “new mommy nerves” was later found to be congestive heart failure due to an enlarged heart . Here’s her story in her own words as Brenda seeks to raise awareness about this potentially deadly disorder.

13 responses to “Peripartum Cardiomyopathy: Brenda Torigiani’s Story”

1. Beth Crutcher says:

Thanks for PPCM shout out! The more people that talk about it the more people can become educated about it. On the PPCM websites, most of the women were ignored or incorrectly diagnosed . It happened to me twice and and word really needs to get out. Thanks again!

Beth

2. Darline says:

Hi Beth,
    So glad to have the opportunity to raise awareness to this life threatening disorder. Admittedly, I have had very little encounter with
    PPCM, but see how it can have severe consequences. I really just want women to be aware and armed with all the information they
    may need. Thanks to you all for bringing it to my attention.

3. Aimee says:

I was disagnosed with PPCM at 36 weeks gestation. I was in severe congestive heart failure and had an ejection fracture of 10%> I went into total organ failure before being given a VAD. I was told I would not live. However May 23, 2007 I was given the gift of life when I received a heart transplant. Today I am doing well and have a beautiful 4 year old daughter. I am very blessed

4. Darline says:

Aimee,
    Wow! Your story is amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing it and raising awareness about peripartum cardiomyopathy. While I don’t want to wish it on anyone, I hope that women will read your story and be inspired. Glad that you are well and again, thanks for sharing your story.

5. Azeem says:

My wife is going thru with PPCM with 26%
    please pray for her.
    we have a 7 days old daughter. And she needs her mom and i need my wife.Please

6. Darline says:

Absolutely! I hope that your wife gets better. Do contact us if we can be of assistance.

7. Brenda T says:

I am glad that we are raising awareness on this terrible disease. It has been a year after my diagnosis and i am completely healed and off my medication.
    if you would like follow my blog at chyannesworld.blogspot.com or contact me at chyannesworld@yahoo.com

8. Darline says:

Congratulations, Brenda!
    That is awesome news!! Thanks so much for updating us!
    Darline

9. summm says:

I lost my daughter because of my ppcm now my echo is clear but doctors say stop to conceive more the question is my reports are clear then why I can’t conceive ?

10. Darline says:

Summ,
    It’s really hard to say. While your echo may be clear, there may be something they are seeing that may be causing concern. I would suggest requesting a consultation and sitting down and getting a very detailed explanation of your lab reports, your current condition and the projected prognosis. That way, you can express your concerns and desires, your doctors can give their input and you can then make an informed decision.

11. summm says:

a woman conceiving 1st time and the time of delivery she diagnose PPCM also suffer in hepatitis E also infection become during c secession doctor are not sure this PPCM is a disease or because of infection ? after all this reports are clear no PPCM no hepatitis nothing . can she conceive again or not ?

12. Darline says:

That is a tough question, one best answered by the woman’s OB in direct conference with an infectious disease specialist and cardiologist. She should be ABSOLUTELY SURE that the previous complications are completely resolved prior to conceptions. A complete evaluation by the aforementioned practitioners is her best course of action. THen she’ll have all the information she needs to make her decision.